Leneta Test Procedure (See ASTM D 4062)
- The Leneta Leveling Test Blade, LTB-2
- Drawdown Levelness Standards, LS-2
- Leveling Test Drawdown Plate, DP-2
- Drawdown Charts Form WB, for light colored paints Form 7B for dark colored paints
- Catch-Papers, Form CP-2
- Pre-shear equipment, Page 36
Preparation of Coating
- Stir thoroughly and adjust to 23°C (73°F).
- Strain and adjust viscosity if necessary.
- Pre-shear in accordance with one of the methods described on Leneta Products Used in ASTM Standards and test immediately thereafter.
Application of Coating
- Position a Catch-Paper on the drawdown plate.
- Place a chart on the drawdown plate against the left guide.
- Place the test blade at the top of the chart with its long arm against the left guide and toward the operator.
- Place 8-10 mL of pre-sheared coating in front of the blade and drawdown rapidly at a uniform rate of approximately 60 cm (2 ft) per second.
- Allow to dry in a horizontal position at 23°C (73°F).
Rating the Drawdown
- After drying, cut out a 3 x 5 inch (75 x 125 mm) section, with striations parallel to the long edge.
- Compare with Leneta Levelness Standards under suitable oblique light.
- The number of the matching standard is the Leneta Drawdown Leveling Value. Rate perfect leveling as 10 and less than 1 as 0.
E. Practical Significance of Numerical Values. This is based on subjective evaluations. The following table represents the collective judgment of an experienced laboratory group: